On 21 June 2016 in Brussels, the inaugural Coding for Young People multiplier event was organised by the Digital Leadership Institute, Brussels-based partner to the CYP project, as an official side-event of the first-ever Digital Festival in Europe. The event included a best practices roundtable on Coding for Young People in Europe and an Android coding workshop for young people.
At this event targeting students, educators, administrators and policy-makers, expert panelists led a discussion on best practices in coding for youth from across Europe. The roundtable was followed by an Android smartphone coding workshop for young people which was also open to members of the public.
14:30-14:35: Welcome by Cheryl Miller, Cofounder, Digital Leadership Institute
14:50-16:00: Expert-led Best Practices Roundtable:
- Ms. Annika Ostergren Pofantis, Policy Officer, EU Code Week, European Commission
- Mr. Janne Evelid, Policy Officer, Digital Agenda of the EU including digital skills and jobs, European Commission
- Ms. Rosanna Kurrer, Cofounder & Digital Literacy Lead, Digital Leadership Institute(Belgium)
- Ms. Katrien De Schrijver, STEM Platform (Flanders, Belgium)
- Ms. Anne Collet, Driver Benelux, Le Wagon (Belgium, France, Luxemburg & the Netherlands)
- Ms. Camille Françoise, Les Voyageurs du Code (“Code Voyagers” – Belgium), an initiative of Libraries without Borders
- Ms. Cristina Larocca and Mr. Giuseppe Cardaci, Prism (Italy)
Moderator: Ms. Cheryl Miller, Cofounder, Digital Leadership Institute
15:45-17:30: Android Coding Workshop for Young People:
Following the best practices roundtable, Ms. Rosanna Kurrer, Digital Leadership Institute Cofounder, led a hands-on Android Coding workshop with MIT App Inventor, that targeted young people ages 11 and up.